Academy of Parish Clergy Books of the Year Awards
2018 Book of the Year Announcement
The Academy of Parish Clergy, Inc. proudly announces that the 2018 Book of the Year Award has been awarded to Preaching about Racism: A Guide for Faith Leaders and Anxious to Talk about It: Helping White ChristiansTalk Faithfully about Racism, both of which were authored by Carolyn B. Helsel and published by Chalice Press (2018). Helsel is Assistant Professor of Homiletics at Austin Presbyterian Theological Seminary. The Book of the Year Award is given by the Academy of Parish Clergy to the book—in this case books—published in the prior year (2018) the committee believes best speaks to the needs and interests of parish clergy. In addition, the Academy presents the Reference Book of the Year Award to Connections: ALectionary Commentary for Preaching and Worship edited by Joel B. Green, Thomas G. Long, Luke A. Powery, and Cynthia L. Rigby. The committee reviewed the first volume—Year C, Volume 1: Advent through Epiphany—published by Westminster John Knox Press, recognizing this first volume, but also the potential value of the entire series. The four general editors of this series include Joel Green, Professor of New Testament Interpretation at Fuller Theological Seminary; Thomas G. Long, Bandy Professor Emeritus of Preaching at Candler School of Theology, Emory University; Luke Powery, Dean of Duke University Chapel and Associate Professor of Homiletics at Duke Divinity School; and Cynthia L. Rigby, W.C. Brown Professor of Theology at Austin Presbyterian Seminary.
In addition to the Book of the Year and Reference Book of the Year awards, the Academy offers The Top Ten Book List for Parish Ministry. The committee members believe these ten books display an excellence and helpfulness to clergy, who are encouraged to add the books to their personal libraries. The Top Ten list appears below, with the books listed alphabetically by author name.
Recognition of these important contributions to the spiritual and professional development of religious professionals was give at the 2019 Annual Conference of the Academy of Parish Clergy meeting at the Canterbury Retreat Center in Oviedo Florida on February 20, 2019
Book of the Year Committee: Robert Cornwall, FAPC, Chair; Stephen Hawkins, APC; and Jess Scholten, APC.
Top Ten List
- Ruth Haley Barton, Invitation to Retreat: The Gift and Necessity of Time Away with God (IVP Books)
- Diana Butler Bass, Grateful: The Transformative Power of Giving Thanks (HarperOne)
- Wesley Granberg-Michaelson, Future Faith: Ten Challenges Reshaping Christianity (Fortress Press)
- David P. Gushee & Colin Holtz, Moral Leadership for a Divided Age: 14 People Who Dared to Change our World (Brazos Press)
- Richard P. Olson, Ruth Lofgren Rosell, Nathan S. Marsh, & Angela Barker Jackson, A Guide to Ministry Self-Care: Negotiating Today’s Challenges with Resilience and Grace (Rowman & Littlefield)
- Matthew Soerens & Jenny Yang, Welcoming the Stranger: Justice, Compassion & Truth in the Immigration Debate, Revised and Expanded Edition (IVP Books)
- Scott Steinkerchner & Peter Hunter, Pictures of the World: Three Views of Life, the Universe, and Everything (Cascade Books)
- Bryan Stone, Evangelism after Pluralism: The Ethics of Christian Witness (Baker Academic)
- Deanna A. Thompson, Glimpsing Resurrection: Cancer, Trauma, and Ministry (Westminster John Knox Press)
- Samuel Wells, Incarnational Mission: Being with the World (Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.)