Best Books List of 2018 -- the Cornwall List
I read a lot of books, most of which are sent to me by publishers to be reviewed on this blog or elsewhere. Each year I have been producing a Book of the Year and a Top Books List. I started out with top ten lists, along with a Book of the Year Selection. All the books in the list below were published in 2018 and read in 2018. To the publishers who provided review copies, let me offer a word of gratitude. In recent years I’ve found it difficult to limit the list to ten books, so you will find sixteen books, one of which I’m naming as Best Book of 2018. The remaining fifteen are divided into four rather loose categories. All sixteen books are excellent and worthy of reading. Links to reviews are provided (click on the title).
My Best Book of 2018 nod goes to:
David P. Gushee and Colin Holtz, Moral Leadership for a Divided Age: 14 People Who Dared to Change Our World (Brazos Press)
Thanks goes to all sixteen authors! Each add significantly to our faith conversation. Consider each of the books listed below and add them all to your "to read" list, if you haven't already.
- C. Leonard Allen, Poured Out: The Spirit of God Empowering the Mission of God (Abilene Christian University Press)
- R. W. L. Moberly, The Bible in a Disenchanted Age: The Enduring Possibility of Christian Faith (Baker Academic)
- Barry L. Schwartz, Path of the Prophets: The Ethics-Driven Life (Jewish Publication Society)
- Keith Stanglin, The Letter and Spirit of Biblical Interpretation: From the Early Church to Modern Practice (Baker Academic)
- Jonathan L. Walton, The Lens of Love: Reading the Bible in Its World for Our World (Westminster John Knox Press)
History/ Biography/ Memoir
- John Fea, Believe Me: The Evangelical Road to Donald Trump (Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.)
- Linda Kay Klein, Pure: Inside the Evangelical Movement That Shamed a Generation of Young Women and How I Broke Free (Touchstone)
- Diana Butler Bass, Grateful: The Transformative Power of Giving Thanks (Harper One)
- Michael Downey, The Depth of God’s Reach: A Spirituality of Christ’s Descent (Orbis Books)
- Benjamin J. Dueholm, Sacred Signposts: Words, Water, and Other Acts of Resistance (Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co.)
- Deanna Thompson, Glimpsing Resurrection: Cancer, Trauma, and Ministry (Westminster John Knox Press)
- Richard W. Voelz, Tending the Tree of Life: Preaching and Worship through Reproductive Loss and Adoption (Energion Publishing Co.) *I need to note here that I edit the series in which this book appears, but it is really good.
- Carolyn B. Helsel, Preaching About Racism: A Guide for Faith Leaders (Chalice Press)
- José Humphreys, Seeing Jesus in East Harlem: What Happens When Churches Show Up and Stay Put (IVP Books)
- Adrian Pei, The Minority Experience: Navigating Emotional and Organizational Realities (IVP Books)